- As many of the fleet head to home ports for Christmas, they are fishing their way down the coast. Mistress has had some more good fishing with a 700lb black marlin off Myrmidon Reef, Townsville and then a 200lb blue off Musgrave Island at the top of Fraser (UPDATE: Barry tells me they caught another going 2 from 3 blues at the northern end of Breaksea Spit.) Capt. Ian “Wobbles” Ford on Hot Shot also had three bites from blues on the way down Fraser Island. They released one and jumped the other two off. We’ll be looking forward to hearing from Capt. Wobbles as Bermi starts to fire early in the new year!
- KEKOA heads through the blues zone in the next couple of days on its way to the Goldy (although I am already here having the task of driving the jeep home!) Hopefully they’ll get some action on the way through as well although I hear the weather has caused some plan changes. Its been stormy down here, again!
- Capt. Tim Richardson on Tradition is still in the North, sportfishing and spearing, as is Capt. Tim Dean on Calypso who is making his way to the Whitsundays. Likewise, we’ll be looking forward to hearing reports from Capt. Tim (Dean) from Port Stephens in 2011. I’ve been hearing whispers that the stripies are already showing up there out on the inside of the shelf (anyone?)
- All this blue marlin talk reminded me of this:
I will try to re-upload that clip because its a little grainy.
- Apart from the blue marlin bite out wide, things are pretty quiet on the billfish front on both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts. Lets hope that despite their absence in the north in 2010, some little blacks find their way down here in early 2011.
- If you are on the subscriber list, look out for the latest Black Marlin Fishing Blog newsletter into your inbox tomorrow.
View more past report. Visit the report archives here.